Frequently Asked Questions
This section will aim to answer some of the most common questions asked to Rob’s Swim School.
Q. When does the next course start?
Spring Course 2021 will start during the week starting 12th April 2021.
Q. Where are the swimming lessons held?
All lessons are currently being held at YUE Healthier Living in Naxxar.
Q. What are the dates of the Winter course?
- Winter Course 2021 starting week of Monday 11th January 2021.
- The course will be of 10 lessons of 45 minutes each. The cost is €95 per child.
- There will be no lessons from Thursday 11th February – Tuesday 16th February.
- Lessons on the 19th March will be held in the morning.
- Last lesson will be during the week of Monday 22nd March 2021.
Q. What are the dates of the Spring course?
- Spring Course 2021 starting week of Monday 12th April 2021.
- The course will be of 11 lessons of 45 minutes each. The cost is €105 per child.
- Lessons on the 7th June 2021 will be held in the morning.
- Last lesson will be during the week of Monday 21st June 2021.
Q. What happens if my child is in quarantine?
Rob’s Swim School will not be able to replace or refund the lessons missed. If your child is in mandatory quarantine, you need to provide Rob’s Swim School with a recent ‘not detected’ Covid test result. If all the members of the household are in quarantine because another member of your household is in mandatory quarantine, then you also need to provide a recent ‘not detected’ result of your child. This is being done to safeguard all at the lessons.
Q. What happens if I paid for Spring 2020?
If you have credit at Rob’s Swim School, you will be given priority to book in advance and your credit will be transferred. Credit must be used by Spring 2021.
Q. What do the lessons cost?
Our fees for Spring 2021 are €105 per child for once a week for 11 lessons of 45 minutes each. There will be no siblings discount until further notice.
Q. Why are the lessons shorter?
Our lessons are shorter due to the restrictions in numbers of children allowed in a lesson. This has been decreased substantially, with 8 in the older classes, 6 in the Seals and to 5 at Turtles level.
Q. Will the children be allowed to use shower facilities after their lessons?
YUE Complex showers and changing areas open. Due to Covid-19, we strongly suggest that you do not make use of this facility.
Q. What are the measures that are being taken at YUE Complex?
YUE complex are santising showers and changing areas as well as touch points in the pool area. The swimming pool and changing rooms are also being fumigated twice weekly. There are a number of hand sanitiser stations throughout the complex.
Q. What is expected of Rob’s Swim School clients?
1. Arrive to class at the stipulated time. If you arrive early, you must wait in the car or have a coffee at YUE Bistro!
2. Upon arrival, your temperature will be taken by the pool receptionist. You will be asked to sanitise your hands. You and your child are obliged to wear a mask on the premises, at all times.
3. Your child should, as far as possible, come to the pool ready dressed. Ideally, they should be ‘beach ready’ with swimming costumes and caps on and a toweling robe and clean pool shoes. No shoes worn outside will be allowed to be used on the poolside.
4. The children will need to sanitise their hands again before entering the pool area.
5. Changing rooms and showers are available. We discourage you to use them at these times. Toilet facilities will be available. No changing is allowed in the toilet area. Absolutely no hair dryers are allowed in or out of the changing room.
6. 1 parent / responsible adult of children in Turtles will be allowed by the poolside. Parent / responsible adult of children at other levels are not permitted by the poolside during the lesson. You may watch from the viewing area or have a break at YUE Bistro. You will be allowed to enter the reception area in the last few minutes. The child may only be accompanied at the complex by 1 adult.
6. Avoid bringing anything with you that is not needed. Parents or responsible adult should keep all belongings.
7. Once you get to the pool area, you need to wait for one of us to tell the children to come in. Please remain distant from each other. They will remove their mask and you will keep it for them until after the lesson.
8. Parents / carers and swimmers are expected to adhere to instructions with respect to social distancing while in the complex at all times.
9. DO NOT attend the lesson if you or your child has any symptoms of COVID-19 or been in contact with someone who has been unwell.
10. You or you child will not be allowed to attend lesson if any symptoms are noted.
Q. What equipment would my child need?
Swimmers will need appropriate swimwear – a swimming cap for all classes, clear lens goggles for Seals, Sharks and Dolphins. Fins for the Dolphins. We will change or sanitise the equipment before each lesson to increase safety for your children.
Q. What age should my child start lessons?
Our swim lessons are available for children 3 years and up.
Q. What is your instructor ratio?
At this time, we have a maximum of 5 children per instructor at Turtles level. At the Seals level 6 children per instructor. At these levels there is a maximum of 5 or 6 children respectively in each class with 1 instructor, due to the Covid- 19 restrictions.
In the Sharks and Dolphins class, there is a ratio of 8 children to 1 teacher.
Q. How long does each lesson last?
Our lessons are 45 minutes long. In view of the fact that class numbers have decreased, this will be ample time to do the lesson, as there will be less waiting time.
Q. What will happen if lessons are stopped due to Covid-19 or any other extraordinary circumstances?
If the Health Authorities enforce schools to close, then we will obviously follow the guidelines. There will be no refund given in this case. The lessons will either be replaced or the credit will be used for future courses, depending on the circumstances.
Q. What training do your instructors have?
Most of our instructors have completed the Level 1 ASA Teaching Aquatics UK. This is the recognised course accepted by the ASA of Malta.
Q. How will I know if my child is ready to move up a level?
Every term a congratulatory certificate is given at the end of each term. You will also receive an assessment sheet of the outcomes that have been covered during the term. In order for your child to move up a level, he/she needs to have obtained all outcomes and the Head Teacher agrees that the progression is beneficial to the child.
Q. What if my child is not progressing?
We always aim to challenge children and continually make progress when possible. However, progress may not always be continuous. It can come in spurts and children will occasionally plateau in their learning. Sometimes, they may even appear to regress. It is not uncommon for some skills to take a while to master, particularly if the child is learning a new or difficult skill or combining multiple skills together. Being patient and trusting the process is important, but if there are specific concerns, they can be addressed with Roberta Stellini as Head Teacher. It is also important to remember that children are accomplishing something by maintaining their existing skills. Many younger children will regress if lessons and regular practice are not continuous or stop for more than a few weeks.
Q. How will I know what level my child will go in to?
When you apply to the swim school there are a range of descriptors to help you in the choice. You will then place your child in the most appropriate level based on the information you’ve provided. If you have a doubt, book your child into a level that is definitely attainable based on their previous experiences so that they can be comfortable, and then Roberta will upgrade them from there once they have settled in and have shown that they are ready for more challenges.
Q. Do you offer replacements or refunds for missed lessons?
We understand that children are unwell or unforeseen circumstances arise which result in missed lessons. If you have notified us by 10am of your absence on the day of your lesson, we will try our best to offer a replacement lesson. Replacement lessons are subject to availability if another child is absent from their lesson, as the child to teacher ratio cannot be surpassed. Replacement lessons may only be given within the same term. We do not refund missed lessons for any reason.
Q. How do I enrol? When can I start?
To enrol in lessons before the start of the course, you can book directly through the website. The application form and payment need to be received prior to the first lesson commencing. If the course has started, contact us via the contact form on the homepage, via the live chat on the site or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or phone us on 00356 99824523.
Q. Can I change my day or time?
Contact us and we will try our best to help you move from your regular lesson time to a more convenient lesson time that is appropriate for the student. Please be aware that requested availabilities may be limited due to other bookings.
Q. Do you offer a family discount?
We are currently not offering any discount.
Q. How often do I need to pay?
Booking and payment need to be made prior to each term. Kindly note that you need to book prior to the start of every term for your child to have a place.
Q. How do I pay for lessons?
Payment for courses should be made within 7 days of booking. The booking will be automatically cancelled if payment is not made. Your child’s place shall only be guaranteed upon receipt of payment. Payment details will be given once you have filled in the registration form.
Q. What is the temperature of the pools lessons are held in?
The pools are heated consistently between 26 – 28 degrees Celsius, subject to extraordinary circumstances.
Q. Do you use flotation aids?
We do use and provide some aids, such as noodles and kick boards but we don’t provide arm bands or vests. Should your child usually use these aids, you need to bring your own. They are usually not used after a few lessons.
Q. What do I need to bring to lessons?
For children please bring; appropriate swimwear, preferably a full swimsuit for girls, and tight shorts for boys, a swimming cap, clean pool shoes (karkur, flip flops, crocs) 1-2 towels per child, clear lens goggles for Seals, Sharks and Dolphins. Fins/flippers for Dolphins.
Your child needs to come to the lesson ‘beach ready’. This means with swimming costume on and a toweling robe or towel.
Due to Covid-19, you and your child will also need to wear a mask while in the venue. The child will not be wearing the mask during the lessons.
Q. Do you use goggles?
We do not use goggles at Turtles level. We start using them at Seals level. We have goggle free time every lesson to ensure that children are able to swim without this visual aid. Our older swimmers Sharks and Dolphins, who are doing laps of the pool will wear goggles on a more regular basis.
Q. Will you be running Synchronised Swimming Lessons?
We are currently not running these lessons due to the fact that we were not receiving enough applicants. If there are enough applicants, we would be willing to run these lessons.
Q. How can I contact Rob’s Swim School?
Rob’s Swim School welcomes your feedback and suggestions for improvement to our services, or to discuss any issues you have about your child’s swimming. You can get in touch with us in person (however, to avoid disruption to lessons, please do this before or after, rather than during, a lesson); by chatting with us via our live chat on our website; emailing us at email@example.com or by calling 00356 99824523. If there is no reply please send a message and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
Alternatively, you can find us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/robsswimschool.